Thursday, August 25, 2022

10 Reasons Why I'm Moving to Belize - #8 NATURE



I realized in 2011, after moving to Fort Myers Beach, FL, that I WAS MEANT TO LIVE NEAR THE WATER! And from what I've seen and heard, Placencia is like the Belizean FMB--white sand beaches, crystalline waters, warmth year-round, humidity...sounds idyllic!!!

What could be better than waking to the sounds of gentle waves lapping at a Caribbean beach, or the gentle breezes rustling the palm fronds, or the cacophony of tropical birds??? Yes, the locals say that the morning greets you with a symphony of bird calls, some days as early as 4 a.m. I'm an early riser and what better alarm clock than the sing-song of various birds?

There are over 580 species of birds!

The sea, the rainforests, the sounds of birds, iguanas roaming the beachside...NATURE!!!

I'll be getting back to nature and the rhythms of beach life. Like the ebb and flow of the Caribbean tide, life comes at a lower frequency. The slow down. The ability to breathe deeply the tropical air. That's what I'm talking about.

There is nothing better than the shade of a palm or scrub oak in the fall, a gentle seabreeze and the smell of salty air when temps are hovering around 80-degrees F. Those are the perfect days in the tropics, as the humidity begins it's slow decline, the days get shorter and the temps a little lower. I can't think of anyplace more perfect to sit down and read a book, or journal or listen to the sounds of nature!


My topsy-turvy life of the last few years has been crying out for the beach. I can't wait to see dolphins and water foul again, to taste the salty surf on my lips and to gently bob in the swells of blue-green waters. I've longed to feel the baby powder sand between my toes, to take long beach walks on cloudless days when the sea is like glass and to be one with nature, again. That is, indeed, my happy place.

And when I want to escape into the jungle, take an adventure, see some Mayan ruins, I can take a day trip inland. There are just so many attractive aspects of Belize, in addition to the location and the great-tasting coffee. Reason #8 why I want to live there? Nature...and rediscovering my happy place!

No comments: